Lent reforms the ground of our hearts and minds in much the same way as winter reforms the earth. Each year this discipline plants us at the foot of the cross that we might see what fruits may grow. Jesus send us to our rooms, not for punishment, but that he might nourish us with the rewards of his friendship. St. Gaspar calls us away on retreat not just that we might examine our ministry, but that we might seek the greater good, that conversation with God as with a friend. It is the disciplines proper to personal and familial friendships and relationships that will renew our lives.
- Do I need to find a new interior discipline or renew an old one?
- Where has winter transformed my life?
- Where am I most in need of reform?
- Where are we most in need of reform?
- What are the disciplines proper to personal relationships, and how might I exercise these disciplines with Jesus?